Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Welcome from Josie!

Welcome to the Indian Modern Quilter's Guild. We are a small but growing tribe...planning for world domination!  to unite the quilters in India. :-) My name is Jocelyn but, all my friends call me Josie. So, please call me so. I'm not a regular quilter. I've made 2 quilts till date and a few quilted mug-rugs. I'm what you call a crafter. I dabble in knitting,crochet, spinning ,sewing, quilting and most recently embroidery. I'll share my first quilt here now..


It is a simple nine-patch quilt that I designed on the go. I didn't follow any pattern for this. I was a newbie at sewing and quilting when I made this quilt. I have a vague idea about seam allowances and binding. But, the best part of being a newbie is that you are courageous ignorant enough to try advanced techniques without worrying about the possible difficulties. So, I did stitch-in-the-ditch quilting for the nine-patch blocks and I tried free-motion quilting on the yellow fabric. I didn't have a quilting foot and I'd known my machine for about a month. But, that didn't stop me.. I jumped right in with two feet and quilted it.


It came out alright. Not a front runner in a Quilt show..but, a simple quilt that my son can use. He still uses it after 2 and a half years. I learnt a few things when I made this quilt. The main lesson was in planning. I didn't have the size of the final quilt in mind when I started it. So, it ended up as a square quilt of size 66 X 66 inches. I realized that I'll appreciate the quilt better if I knew what size I'm making. Maybe, that's the OCD control-freak in me talking. ;-)


That's my lil one sitting on the quilt the moment I spread it on the floor for a snap. He was about 2 yrs old at that time. :-) Oh! He is munching on a banana. All the troubles you go through in creating something vanishes when your loved one appreciates it. Doesn't it?! I'll talk about my second quilt another time. I do have a craft blog where I talk about the things I make. Do visit me there too. I'm glad to be a part of this Guild and hope to meet other quilters in India.

-Josie

1 comment:

  1. Can we please include the world domination part? Great post Josie :-)

    ReplyDelete